dimarts, 13 de desembre del 2011

Water fleas (Daphnia sp)

Water fleas are crustaceans that feed on microscopic algae. I put some in the pond in the beginning, when the water became green a few weeks after making the pond. They are a quick, very effective and ecological solution against this sort of algae. In two weeks the water was crystalline. I used Daphnia  magna, one of the biggest, it can reach  3 mm . I tried to make some pictures in the pond but I didn't succeed.

They are small but they don't pass the net

Water fleas
Fish and Daphnia don't make good friends.  I put some fish to control the mosquitoes and they ate all the Daphnia. I don't know if it would be possible to keep both if there were a few fish. Then I don't know if those fish would be useful against the mosquitoes or they would prefer feeding on Daphnia.  Curiously, in spite of the Daphnia extinction in the pond, the green algae didn't come back. Maybe it was due to nutrient competition with plants (they had grown quite a lot)

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

Nota: Només un membre d'aquest blog pot publicar entrades.