dijous, 7 de juny del 2012

Ready to lay eggs

This spring is being hot, with thunderstorms in the afternoons. This rain stimulates the Clemmys.  They use to move to shallower areas and even the shore. This also happens when I water the pond. During last thunderstorm, I noticed something. One terrapin was walking underwater, near the shore,  with the top of the carapace almost touching the water surface, with the neck outstretched and the nose on the substrate. Moving slowly as if seeking something. At one point it even removed the sand of the bottom with the leg, pulling the dirt on its carapace. It really looked as though it was looking for food.
I remembered that once before, also after a rain, they were doing something similar and one of them swam quickly  away with an earthworm. I thought she had been lucky to find an earthworm, but I now wonder if the thunderstorms might have some relation with food availability.

The pond has completely changed in appearance


April


June


June

I often pass a net to clean the water of fallen leaves or to control filamentous algae. In these cleanups I have found several invertebrates: ditiscus sp, water striders and recently, dragonfly larvae.



In fact, I have assumed they are dragonfly larvae because of their face, quite similar to the mother's. She visited the pond in autumn 2011. She touched the wood with the abdomen in different places for several minutes. I thought she was laying eggs.



Both Clemmys spend most of their lives in the water.  Only the male in spring has some terrestrial activity for a brief period, when it walks up and down the land area, specially in the early morning. This year he has done it in late March. I wonder if this corresponds to those migrations described in some articles. They also occupy different type of ponds in different seasons.  I have only seen the female going to land to nest. And this is what she is doing now. Last mating I saw was in April. Now she is carrying eggs. About 15 days ago I felt something on palpation but I wasn't sure. One week ago I palpated the eggs very easily. The female has also changed the behavior. She has stopped eating (even earthworms!). And she goes to the land area, specially in the early morning (and maybe during the night, I am not there to check). Every day since last week I have a look at the land area when a come from work in the evening, around 21:00 and again before going to bed, between 23:00-24:00.  Today it has been a very hot day. If there in not an afternoon thunderstorm, I suspect that she will lay tonight. This is also what I  thought yesterday. And two days ago.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

Nota: Només un membre d'aquest blog pot publicar entrades.