divendres, 20 de juliol del 2012

Incubation

Today I encountered something disturbing: one of the eggs incubated for female was collapsing from the sides. This was happening in spite of keeping it in humid vermiculite in a closed box of crickets.

The positive side is that, looking at it with a torch from below, the egg looks full.

I do not turn it and I light it from below



    The terrapin occupies all the egg
This usually happens when the humidity is not high enough. I have moistened the vermiculite and I have covered the eggs a little bit more. Now I have to wait, although I have lost some hope with this egg.
One curious thing is the change in the shell hardiness during incubation. Recently hatched they are hard, they look like those of hard shelled egg species. By now, they are very soft, as though there was only a thin membrane.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

Nota: Només un membre d'aquest blog pot publicar entrades.