dimarts, 10 de juny del 2014

First eggs 2014

After some cool and rainy weeks, Saturday was the first summer day of the year, with temperatures over 30ºC . Around 6 o'clock in the afternoon, the female was in the land area. I quickly moved away. If she noticed I was looking at her in that moment, she would flie away to the water. She always does. I had to go and when I came back at 9, she was already nesting. With this female, once nesting, she doesn´t mind being observed. In fact some years ago I took very close pictures of her while she was nesting.  
She nested under some plants, as usual.





 
 
I left her digging and I came back at midnight. She was still in the same place and I went to bed.
Next morning I was surprised to see how well hidden the nest was. If I had not seen the female nesting, I wouldn´t have seen it.

Picture of the place next morning


The same  picture  showing where the nest was

The female gets under the plants and then starts digging. The same behavior is shown in most of the pictures of previous years. This is why the plants look intact when she has finished. 

I wonder if this sort of plants, with a fast and invasive growth, would have destroyed the nest.




But there is no chance because I put the three eggs to the incubator



I will take pictures each week during the incubation to see the development . This first picture is 9 hours after the eggs were laid. 







12 hous later, at 30ºC, it seems that a white patch appears on the upper surface of the eggs.





Hopefully in about 45 days there will appear something like this





Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

Nota: Només un membre d'aquest blog pot publicar entrades.